A Multitude of Information

 This week consisted of making sure everything was in order for my research proposal that was due today. The process of submitting the first assignment for this project was definitely a bit stressful. However, one fun thing about looking at the topic of ethnobotany has been finding random little bits of information about different plants. One thing I did to help me get an idea for what plant I wanted to focus on was doing the primary Wikipedia searches for different plants and seeing if there was anything I was curious about or anything that I felt needed to be studied. These multiple dives on Wikipedia gave me all the random bits of information I did not know I needed, especially about local plants. I feel like everyone knows this, but I learned how Agave is used in tequila production! I was very unaware of that fact. The book I mentioned in my last post lists also many medical uses for Agave I didn’t know, such as to help indigestion, heal cuts and burns, and even to treat jaundice in some regions of Mexico. It’ll be interesting to see what else I learn during this project.

Moore, M. (2003). Medicinal plants of the mountain West. Museum of New Mexico
     Press.

Comments

  1. A fun additional note on tequila, it is a type of mezcal. Mezcal being a distilled alcohol from agave plants. But to be tequila it has to be the blue agave, where as mezcal more informally can be one of dozens of agaves.

    It is sort of like how a square can be a rectangle but not vice versa. Every tequila is a mezcal, but not every mezcal is a tequila. There are some different processing techniques between the two as well that give them different flavors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agave and amazing. Beautiful and useful. I am also a huge tequila fan so they hold a special place in my heart, the blue agave especially. I love how much new information you are gathering, it shows how fun research can be.

      Delete

Post a Comment